Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Block 86

Santa Claus


As I write this
I am wondering what you,
the reader,
are wondering.

I'll bet you are wondering
why a 59 2/3 year old
would think
that Santa Claus
is a blessing?

When I was young,
and when you were young too,
I'll bet,
there seemed to be
a Santa on every street corner
and in every department store.
My parents dealt
with all of these
different Santas
with such class.
They told us
that these were Santa's helpers,
not elves . . . helpers,
and he sent them out 
before Christmas
because he was too busy.

Pretty cool, huh?
Tell a helper
what you would like
and he delivers
the message to Santa.

Then,
somewhere in my 
youngest of years
Mom and Dad
told us that Santa 
was the spirit of giving.
Not that he was fake . . .
never that . . . 
just that he was the
"spirit" of giving.

So,
I guess,
they never said there was
nor did they say 
there wasn't a Santa.

Still,
I know,
why is he a blessing.?
He is the spirit of giving
and giving is good. 
When I am able to give
to a cause I believe in
I get a warm,
cozy feeling
in the depths
of my soul.
It is a humbling
experience 
to share with those
who need,
or do,
good things
but do not have 
the resources to achieve
their wants and needs.

Wyoming County SPCA
and 
Natalie's No Kill Animal Shelter . . .
at the present,
I am trying to help 
both places.
 The 1st is here 
in Western New York
where Natalie's
is 30 (+/-) minutes
from my hometown.


Both do great things
for animals
who did not ask 
to be brought
into this world.
They give them food, 
shelter,
love
and the hope
of finding
a "forever" family.


All of my
fur babies
have been foundlings
of sorts.
They could have 
appeared at my home,
been in a shelter,
been fostered,
born into a family
who wanted no more pets
or just needed a home
where they would be loved.
So I see
what wonderful things
can occure
with these unwanted animals.
They become
the best friends
I could have 
asked for.




Dear Lord,
Your son, Jesus Christ, taught us, in his unassuming ways, that giving was good. I thank you each and every day for giving him to us so he could teach us so much in his short time on Earth.

He gave to those who needed, those who could not do for themselves. He loved all, but I think he had a special place in his heart for the weak, poor and those who were not dealt a good hand in life. 

I hope, that in my small way, I emulate his generosity.

Amen
(1635)

1 comments:

Denise said...

The blessing of giving...I have never thought of it that way. It does feel good though doesn't it?

This is going to require more thought.

Smiles - Denise

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I truly appreciate the fact you took the time.

Paula