Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Block 84

School Friends


Blue for Columbia's Blue and White.
Purple for Brownsburg's Purple and White.
These are 
the friends I made
who I taught with,
not the ones 
I made when I
was a student.

Some I had known from 
my days in school . . .
they were teachers then
or perhaps 
students,
like myself,
then.
Some were older,
some were younger
some had even been
students in my own
classroom.

But,
in the classrooms
we were all on
the same stage . . .
equals
no matter 
what we 
had once been.

They mean
the world to me . . . 
I compare us
to soldiers
who have served
on the same battle field.
We have a mutual
understanding 
that only those
who have done the job
understand.

Everyone
seems to think
they know how to teach . . .
or they think of teacher
with this phrase
"Those who do, do,
Those who can't
teach."

Just once,
I would like to see
someone from 
that last group
send a week in a classroom.
For some,
a day would be 
way too much.

Real teachers
are rare birds
and I am glad
that I worked in a flock
of so many
great ones!

Dear Lord,
Thank you for blessing me with the friends I made in the battle field known as Public Schools. No matter what we did, someone always thought we were doing wrong or they could do it better. The real teachers among us took it in stride and kept on doing what we did . . . knowing we were doing what was right for our classrooms . . . adapting what we did for the individuals we encountered.

I hope, in the deepest parts of my heart, that you will always keep the people who care in the classroom. If they should ever cease to exist, the classroom will be a sad place.

Amen

4 comments:

Denise said...

Being a teacher is something I know I could never do. I applaud those who not only want to do this job, but do a good job. Thank-you!

Smiles - Denise

debi said...

Paula, your squares are all so beautiful. You're really good at this stitching!

creation said...

Hi ,
i love to read your posts , your blocks comes out beautiful and i specially love the way you write about your blessing ,i am always blessed by reading your post and get encouraged too.
this time specially the COURAGE one ,i too completely identify by you with this blessing of courage ,good going .
hugs
luv
Rachana

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

HI Paula! Your block is beautiful! I just saw it today and I am going to go through all your posts and look at all of them! I love this..don't you? So much fun!
Blessings,
Debbie
Great blog!

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I truly appreciate the fact you took the time.

Paula